Speed Kills: Your Pocketbook
We share much of SENSE BC's exact mission, and with their permission, list their relevant points with our slight adjustments for Alberta:
We support speed limits that reflect the UPPER limit of SAFE travel speeds to ensure the reasonable and safe actions of the majority of drivers are legal. We are advocates for laws and enforcement designed to improve safety, traffic flow and efficiency. We reject legislation and/or enforcement which covertly or overtly robs motorists. Good laws should be based on science, and not politics.
A better record from our elected officials towards honesty, integrity and transparency in applying a fair standard to the motoring public. We expect fair play in better promoting responsible driving in Alberta. The promotion of a system that rewards all drivers for their responsible operation of a motor vehicle, and provides corrective behavior for poor driving habits.
A user friendly Court system to deal with disputing an allegation, together with more available resources for defendants to use before their day in Court. We believe in ongoing driver education that is both affordable and available to all licenced drivers.
- Photo Enforcement - photo radar and red light cameras are not fool proof, have little if any safety benefit, are an infringement of privacy and set an unfair burden of proof on the owners of motor vehicles to prove innocence, among many other problems.
- Speed Traps or "fishing holes" - enforcement in areas where there is an engineering solution rather than an enforcement solution to safety concerns.
- Elected politicians using speed enforcement as a dependable revenue source.
- The use of traffic tickets and demerit points to generate revenue.
- Using the motorist to extract dishonest taxes. Tickets are sometimes nothing more than a tax based on a lie. Enforcement in "fishing holes" is arbitrary and does little for safety.
- Circumvention of due process.
- Unreasonable police powers.
See our plan of action, sign our unofficial petition and send an email to those responsible for change. Take action now!
Tired of being penalized two weeks later for driving safely with the flow of traffic? We are too. Let's put an end to the photo radar cash-grab once and for all.Learn More
We believe speed limits should be set based on science, driver behaviour and actual studies instead of being set by politicians for monetary gain. Do you? Learn more below.Learn More
Stay Protected Handsfree - Get Waze
Get alerted of "fishing holes" and photo radar
Want to save a hundred dollars or more on your daily commute? Get Waze. Waze is a Google owned app and will alert you of upcoming speed traps or intersection cameras.
Crowd sourced traffic data
The more people that use Waze, the better it gets. Get re-routed when there's an accident up ahead or receive an alert before you approach a "fishing hole", photo radar trap or intersection camera. If you spot one that hasn't been reported yet, you can report it yourself; all handsfree of course.
Get alerted before you approach police photo radar speed cameras accidents road hazards traffic jams .
Get alerted before you approach police, accidents, road hazards or traffic jams, all shared by other drivers in real-time. It's like a personal heads-up from a few million of your friends on the road.